8. HOW DOES ONE OBTAIN A CROSSBREED?
There are 2 methods:
9. WHY MUST MALAYSIA IMPORT SHEEP FROM OVERSEAS?
In achieving the target of one million sheep in 2000. The National sheep population must be increased to at least 130,000 in 1990. Imports will not only increase the population but also increase the productivity of local livestock through the breeding programme.
10. I OWN AN AREA AND WISH TO BE A CULTURIST BUT I HAVE INSUFFICIENT CAPITAL, WHAT MUST I DO?
You may apply for a bank loan to build a pen, purchase sheep and the supplements and get free advisory services from the Department of Veterinary Services. Or you may provide the entire infrastructure and apply for the sharecrop sheep from the Department of Veterinary Services.
11. WHAT DOES THE SHEEP SHARECROP SYSTEM MEAN?
It is a system whereby the rearer are provided female sheep to rear, and for each sheep that is used in the sharecrop, the rearer must return a lamb not older than 9-month old to the Government and it must be done within 36 months.
12. HOW ABOUT TRAINING?
Training will be provided at the Kluang Animal Institute for 5 days and participants may be placed at the hostel of the Institute. Or you may apply to obtain local trainings (in situ); at the Departmental project area, such course/training can only be provided for 1-2 days.
13. WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO BE TAKEN ONCE I HAVE RECEIVED THE IMPORTED SHEEP?
14. WHAT IS THE BEST CULTURING METHOD IN THE INTEGRATION PROJECT ?
15. WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR A GOOD CAGE ?
16. IS IT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE CUT GRASS IN THE CAGE?
A necessity especially for the confined sheep. Also as a supplement at night and in the morning when the sheep is in the cage.
17. HOW MUCH GRASS MUST BE PROVIDED?
An approximate dry weight of 3-5% of the body weight. For example, a 40kg sheep, the dry weight of grass is 20%, the fresh grass given must be less than 10 kg per day.
18. HOW LONG AND WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR GRAZING ?
A minimum of 6 hours per day, beginning in the morning as soon as the grass is not too wet. Usually from 9.00 am or 10.00 am until 3.00 pm to 4.00 pm for the farm/Estate area. As for the open grazing field area, the grazing period may have to be divided into two periods; for example between 8.00 am -11.00 am and 3.30 - 6.30 pm.
19. WHAT IS THE MALE TO FEMALE RATIO RECOMMENDED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY SERVICES?
It is recommended to be at the rate of 1 male for every 20-25 females.
Kemaskini pada 2015-10-30 17:02:10 daripada Administrator